Susan M Hansen
Rocky Point, NY 11778
To: Jack O’Connor
Cc: The Riverhead
Calverton Zoo & Animal Sanctuary mailing list
Enclosed is a copy of the Calverton
Zoo & Animal Sanctuary Business Plan.
There is one point worth
This is not the same proposal
that was presented to the RDC or anyone else several years ago.
That plan was from a
different group with a different idea.
This proposal recommends that
Riverhead lease the land,
thereby maintaining control and ownership. Some of the key features include:
- It suggests leasing the land (300 acres) for
- This will enable the town to maintain complete control yet still
- The money necessary to develop the land will come from fundraising and
not rely on taxpayer support.
- It provides a “safety net.” If the plan fails for any reason, either
initially or 20 years from now, the town will still have what it started
with: the land.
- It does not require the entire 755 acres, thus
leaving acreage for other uses, further diversification and possible sale.
- It does not consume the runway, which can be
banked for Riverhead’s future.
- It is a recreational use that will appeal to all
residents, particularly children and families.
- It is a recreational use that puts “Riverhead
First” – not those with money to spend on green fees, houses, horses,
boats and water skis$$$.
An online copy is available
at www.calvertonzoo.com for easy
access to any and all interested parties.
Thank you in advance for your
time and consideration.
Susan M Hansen